Let’s recap what we’ve learned in this tutorial:
- 2 (hole) cards are dealt face down to each player, and the first round of betting ensues. After this 3 community cards are dealt face up and another round of betting occurs. A fourth card is placed face up followed by more betting. The last (river) card is placed face up and a final round of betting happens. The player with the best 5 card poker hand wins.
- There are two main types of betting structure in Texas holdem poker, limit holdem and no limit holdem.
- Every game of holdem has a player who has the strongest hand, the key is to know who it is, and if it isn’t you then youd better figure out who does.
- AA, KK, QQ, JJ are superior starting hands, but if higher cards appear on the flop then be wary that someone has a higher pair than you, and you should fold.
- Patience is perhaps the most important tip for playing Texas holdem, realize that you aren’t going to win every hand and don’t be afraid to fold 10+ hands in a row.
- If you do have the best possible hand then its important that you take advantage of it by betting and raising, the worst mistake is slow playing the best hand, make people pay to see the next card.
- If the dealer button is to your immediate left, then you’re in excellent position.