Let’s recap what we’ve learned in this tutorial:
- 4 (hole) cards are dealt face down to each player, and the first round of betting ensues. After this 3 community cards are dealt face up and another round of betting occurs. A fourth card is placed face up followed by more betting. The last (river) card is placed face up and a final round of betting happens. The player with the best 5 card poker hand wins. Using exactly 2 of their hole cards and exactly 3 of the community cards.
- There are two main types of betting structure in Omaha, limit Omaha and pot limit Omaha.
- Every game of Omaha has a player who has the strongest hand, the key is to know who it is, and if it isn’t you then youd better figure out who does.
- High pocket pairs with high suited connectors are considered superior starting hands, but a players hand strength is determined by which cards come on the flop then.
- Patience is perhaps the most important tip for playing Omaha, realize that you aren’t going to win every hand and don’t be afraid to fold 10+ hands in a row.
- If you do have the best possible hand then its important that you take advantage of it by betting and raising, the worst mistake is slow playing the best hand, make people pay to see the next card.
- In Omaha, its important to know the probabilities of making your hand. Know the number of outs you have and the amount it will cost you to complete your hand.
- If the dealer button is to your immediate left, then youre in excellent position.